June is national Camping Month, so we moved the Kids in the Kitchen to the great outdoors this month with our Kids on the Grill recipes!! These easy recipes can be done inside, but why would you? There is a great big old world out there waiting for you to conquer it.
You’re going to get hungry with all that conquering so you’ll need a delicious snack. And learning to cook over a campfire or in the backyard is a great way to enjoy the outdoors with your family and friends. The food might even taste BETTER in the fresh air!
Ask your adult to start a fire (or the grill), hang out in the fresh air and see who can make the best banana boat!!
Onion ring burgers
• 1 large onion
• Ground beef
• Salt & pepper
1. Have your adult cut a thick slice of onion about ½ inch wide
2. Gently pull the rings apart
3. Put two large onion rings on 12” by 6”piece of foil
4. Sprinkle salt and pepper inside the ring
5. Take a ball of ground beef, and push it into the onion ring
6. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the burger and place over warm coals on the grill
7. Cook about 4 minutes on each side
8. Have your adult check to make sure your burger
is cooked thoroughly.
Blueberry Orange Muffins
• Package of berry muffin mix
• Water or milk
1. Cut oranges in half and scoop out the middle with a spoon
2. Open the muffin mix, and pour ½ cup of water in the package (or the amount of liquid the instructions call for)
3. Mix well with a fork
4. Put orange rinds on crumpled foil to stabilize them
5. Pour muffin mix in rinds
6. Set on grill over coals and close lid. Usually done in 7-10 minutes
7. Use spatula to take orange muffins off grill
Peanut Butter Banana Marshmallow Boats
• Peanut butter baking chips
1. Slice bananas lengthwise with a butter knife. Don’t go through other side
2. Gently push ends of banana together
3. Fill open area with peanut butter chips and marshmallows
4. Wrap with foil making sure the banana will sit upright on the grill.
5. Put over hot coals for 5-8 minutes
Are you a seasoned campfire cook already? Do you have favorite camping recipes? Share them with us at Facebook.com/officialkidsmag
To find more of our tasty recipes, click here!